September 02, 2009

My Favorite Decorating Tools and Inspirations

I'm joining in the Favorite Things party at Girly Stuff today and posting some of my favorite home decor items, tools, and inspirations I use around the house:

  • Spray Paint:  A $3-$10 bottle of spray paint can easily revitalize tons of things around the house. I've used it to change the look or fix up tons of things around the house (like my indoor fountain).  It's cheap and easy...and when it come's to diy-ing those are 2 things I look for!

  • Cordless Drill:  I use this baby, a Hitatchi Cordless Drill, all around the house.  It drills, it screws, it's totally needed for everything from hanging up curtain rods to installing lighting fixtures.  I couldn't be a homeowner without it!




  • Houseplants:  I love indoor plants because they can add life to any space and are a great way to add a interest to a room on the cheap.  I recently added an indoor palm tree to my family room and love how it spices up the space.  I also love, love, love the look of ferns on a front porch (like the ones in this photo from Bungalow Bliss)



  • Framed Photos:  I love surrounding myself with things that remind me of happy times so I have framed wedding, family, and vacation photos all around my home.  I love art, but hate canned or meaningless art, so to me printing and framing (more about that soon) photos are a wonderful and inexpensive way to add very personal art to the home.



  • Summer:  So this isn't really a decorating item or tool, but its an inspiration to me.  Summer is my favorite time of the year so it inspires a lot of my home design.  I love planting flowers, bright colors, colored lanterns, flowing fabrics, tropical design touches, and of course vacation photos.  Even when it's -10 below outside and gets dark at 4pm, I can surrounding myself with summer energy.  (Photo from Garden Fresh Living)

No comments: