September 18, 2009

More Favorite Home Decorating Tools

I recently posted some of my favorite home decorating tools.  But the more I think about it, the more tips and tools I think of for home design.  Check out some of the other home decorating tools I have in my virtual tool box:


  • White Paint - A can of crisp white paint should never be too far away.  White paint can transform so much!  Have an ugly old wooden dresser?  Paint it white and add new hardware for a new look.  Have a room that looks too monochromatic and bland?  Paint the trim white to make the wall color pop out.  Tired of the way that picture frame looks?  Try painting it white for a new look.  Ah, the possibilities are endless.


  • Garage Sales - As you may have noticed by my garage sale finds posts every Monday, I have a bit of a garage sale addiction.  As I like to say, it's like Trick-or-Treating for adults.  I love the thrill of the hunt, never knowing what treasures you can uncover.  And the bargains you find can't be beat!  Don't believe me?  Check out some of my past yard sale finds.
  • Candles:  I can't think of anything else that can so easily and cheaply add to the ambiance and decor of a room.  Candles can be used indoors or out and can be put in an endless variety of cute lanterns, holders, and candelabras.  In the dining room, they can be used to set a more formal mood.  In the family room, a scented candle can set an inviting and comforting mood.  And in the bedroom...do I even need to explain...they can set a romantic mood!

  • Library:  The library you ask?  Yes!  Why subscribe to home decorating magazines you'll only read once and then throw out (hopefully you'll recycle them at least).  Be more green and save some green by getting your favorite magazines from the library.  If there's a project or recipe you want to hold onto, photocopy the page or see if it's posted on the magazine's website to either bookmark or print out.  The library is also a great source for all types of home improvement books.  There are home decorating books to give you design ideas, home improvement books that can teach you how to fix or build things, landscaping books about plants/flowers/trees, books about hosting parties, craft books, etc, etc, etc!  But you don't have to take my word for it.

I'm sharing this post on Hooked on Houses, Inspired Room, and Finer Things.

4 comments:

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Definitely! I lit a candle for the first time in a LONG time this morning, and remembered how much I love them.

karie said...

I love your blog! Have you ever tried PartyLite candles? They don't leave soot marks on your wall and they are the only votive I burn because they burn completely and therefore don't have to try to get dried wax out of the bottom of the cup! www.partylite.biz/kariene

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I agree on all accounts. Esp. the library. I'd be broke if I had to buy all the great resources I find at the library. And, I cannot even tell you how many gallons of white paint I have gone through in our house reno. LOL.

I don't have much luck at garage sales, but I really should try harder. It's just a lot of time and effort and I've found very few gems. I'm just too impatient.

Building Materials Supplies said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.